Insights into my personal life.

This blog includes the personal details of my experiences as a recently diagnosed Type I diabetic and the impact of that diagnosis on my endurance athletic pursuits.

Please understand that I consider myself to be a work in progress. I am willing to share both my successes and failures, so please do not take my words to be professional dietary or medical advice. This is a blog, this is only a blog. I research my choices carefully, and take my health very seriously. The choices I make are my own, I am doing the best with the resources and support that I have. If you have questions or concerns feel free to comment, but please be constructive and understand that this is my life. I value it dearly.

My goal is to live a happy, healthy and active life where I can balance my internal drive to push my physical limits and the challenge of safely maintaining stability despite the challenges of Type I diabetes.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Bells & Whistles

With regards to accessories, here's a little background into the type of person I am.  I hate them.  I only recently started wearing hats (but only because I've been freezing).  I own many hats, I don't ever take time to match a hat to a color, only to how warm of a hat I need.

I don't wear watches.  My wrists are huge and constantly bashing into stuff.  I can't stand wearing sunglasses.  I'd rather squint and get windburned.  I don't like sunscreen or lotion, hate lipbalm especially carmex.  I own 3 belts, black, brown and one shiny.  I wear only my wedding ring - and never take it off.  I'd rather it get scratched and dinged than lost.  Necklaces? Santa got me a herring bone gold necklace in 94.  It didn't survive '95.

I was the last of my friends to get a cell phone.  Why did I need one when I was surrounded by my friends who were more than willing to let me make a call when needed.  I do have a few vices for sporting goods (understatement of the year) and sure I own many shoes, but never more than 3 pairs per sport - if you count trail running, track and pavement as 3 separate sports.  It's good to keep a healthy rotation.  One favorite shoe equates to one favorite running injury. But I digress.

I hate carrying stuff around.  I was criticized as an adolescent that my head was in the clouds.  It was.  That's where it was supposed to be.  Why waste the energy tracking whether you had your swimsuit packed, remembered to take your soccer-ball home after practice, or packed underpants.  That's part of being a kid - you are happy to be irresponsible.  You're not harming anyone or yourself, you're usually just annoying your parents.

As an adult it would be unwise to continue these same mistakes, but that doesn't mean we should actively choose to live such complicated lives.  Complicated lives require extra accessories.  Free and easy is still just as enjoyable, but I find it increasingly difficult to get away from needing all this stuff.  Everywhere I go, it used to be (w/ 3 slaps to my pockets): wallet, keys, phone.  Boom - out the door.  Now, there is a much longer list.


Call me an optimist, but I see shorts season rapidly approaching.  I don't want to be that guy with a purse.  Right now I carry enough stuff to fill 3-5 pockets.  It's not so bad when those pockets are your winter coat, but it's going to be a different story in running shorts and a tank top.  Where will I keep all this stuff?


1 comment:

Summer said...

Bring back fanny packs! ;)

Do they make cargo running shorts? Run with a bike or tri jersey?